Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Day One Quitter

  

I honestly thought this was going to be much easier than it is. I thought I was sufficiently scared about the task at hand. It's not like I am one of those lifetime smokers. What's a few years, right? These patches will work like a charm! Little to no effort required on my part. Yay! 

Man, I had no idea. 

I woke up a little after 5am, and quickly slapped the nicotine patch on with hope of avoiding that, "You just woke up from an entire night of not smoking. Grab one, quick!!!" feeling. Seems it doesn't work like that. Certainly wasn't kicking in when I went to get my morning coffee. Not on the drive to work. Not at work... You get the picture.

If this is what it feels like with 21mg of nicotine slowly and consistently releasing into my body, I can only image the hell quitting cold turkey would be. I feel the urge to chew the inside of my mouth out, and kick even the cutest of kittens.

The plan is to go to bed early. Get this day over with, and surely each one will get easier and easier after this. I know 100% that I am going to accomplish this, and the knowledge that this suffering is for the greater long term good is comforting.

But in the meantime..."Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty!"


No comments: