Sunday, May 23, 2010

I Had Seoul

We spent our Sunday shopping for patio lights, and then decided to take the boy child out to eat somewhere he had never been before. We settled on Vietnamese, but then spotted a Korean restaurant which none of us had ever had, and opted for that instead.

Mitchell ordered Fire Chicken, which I sampled and found hot, but good. Michelle ordered an appetizer of fried squid with a ginger sauce. Again, it was spicy, and the sauce was so over-powering that the squid could have been anything. She and I ordered this to share:



I think it was called "Rice Bowl Hot Pot." I will admit to being intrigued by all the the "extras" that were served in small dishes. Intrigued until I started tasting them and asking the waitress what they were. The only one I recognized was kim chi (fermented cabbage), which I had watched a Food Network special about a few years back. There were some black beans that tasted like those black jelly beans that everyone throws in the trash each Easter. A few others, something with cucumbers and something with bean sprouts, weren't half bad.


The highlight of the meal was of course not part of the meal at all, BEER. A Korean version, which I had never tried, called "Hite."

It occurred to me when we left that when all else fails, the one fail safe is and always will be, beer. Thank you, beer. We might have spent $50 on bad grub, but as usual, you stepped in to save the day!

No comments: