Friday, July 1, 2011

Working from Home: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

When I quit my job several months ago, I was absolutely terrified. However, I felt that it had to be done. I had been through many different types of jobs, and was always miserable. It seems that some people just are not meant to work for others, and I had realized that I was one of these people.

Before I quit, I formulated what I thought was a sound plan. I would become an internet content writer. I had already been writing to earn extra spending money, but was certain that if I went full time with it, I would be able to replace my paycheck.

Have I been able to do this every week? No, not every week. However, the more I learn, the more I earn, and many weeks I do reach my goal. Part of the learning curve involves the proper way to work from home. The following is information that I have learned through trial and error may be able to help you reduce your own learning curve.

The Good

The good is pretty obvious. You do not work for someone else. Every dollar you make is for your own benefit, not the benefit of others. You can wear whatever you want, and work at whatever hours you choose. I prefer to work during the day, because I enjoy watching television at night, but if you are a night owl, go for it.

The Bad

You have to set goals, or you will fall prey to slacking off. At first I did not do this, and because of the fact, I was able to easily convince myself that I had done enough for the day, and was free to pursue other interests. When my bank account started to look ugly, I knew I had better set some goals, and fast. As a general rule, I must make $70 a day, seven days a week, in order to replace my paycheck. This amount is not always possible, as there are other things I have to do, and I do like an occasional off day. If I take a day off, or have a bad day, I force myself to make up for it on the other days. By setting goals that must be achieved, you will not fall behind.

The Ugly

Distractions are an ugly beast. Being the parent of two teenagers mean that they are plentiful. The constant drama, friends coming over, and the need to talk to Mom, are just a few examples. I quickly discovered that this must be eliminated. I sat them both down and explained to them that they must treat my working time in the same way it was when I had a day job. Basically, I told them to pretend I am not here. Has it worked? Not totally, but they are learning. Your distractions may be different, but the general message here it to eliminate as many of them as you possibly can.


The following are great additional reading on this topic...

Work at Home Now: The No-nonsense Guide to Finding Your Perfect Home-based Job, Avoiding Scams, and Making a Great Living

25 Ways to Make Money Online: Your Complete Guide to Legitimate Online Jobs and Opportunities That Allow You to Work From Home And Earn A Paycheck

No comments: