Monday, June 20, 2011

Is MyLikes A Scam?

I cannot believe I actually recommended this site to you guys. After using it for a while, my opinion has drastically changed.

MyLikes is a site that allows you to post their advertisements to your Twitter account, and in return, is supposed to pay you for each click the advertisement receives. You can also post them to your Facebook page, but no compensation is received for doing this. 
 
The average per click price is around $0.10, and there are many to choose from. After looking around the site, I determined that I should easily be able to make five to ten dollars a day, with only a few minutes of work. I based this on the fact that I have over 5,000 Twitter followers, and all of the trackable links that I post average ten clicks each. 
 
The problem with MyLikes is that you have no control over the link that is posted. You do not even see what the link will be beforehand. This makes it completely impossible to change the link into a version that you can track. I was suspicious of this, but decided to carry on anyway. 
 
Three weeks in, I have posted maybe fifty advertisements to my Twitter account. The most recorded clicks I have received on any advertisement was two. My average clicks per advertisement? ZERO. 
 
This is impossible. I have been posting links on Twitter for well over a year now, and have never in the history of my account had zero clicks on a link I posted. Never. 
 
That said, I have made a few dollars from MyLikes. This is because several of the links will pay you for clicking on them once yourself. It would be hard for MyLikes to scrub this click, since you personally know you did it. Since many of the advertisers will pay you for this first click, I have managed to make seven bucks, and some change. This money was paid to me via PayPal each Friday. 
 
I considered contacting MyLikes, and explaining the situation to them, but figured this would get me nowhere. In reality, challenging them would likely get my account deleted. This article may do the same. I am willing to take my chances, as with their current system in place, I only stand to make peanuts for my time. 
 
I really like the MyLikes site setup, and truly wish they would offer a legitimate way to make some money. Maybe if enough people complain, change will be made. However, with thousands of people try to make money on the internet, there will always be new people willing to try this service, and genuinely believing that their Twitter posts are being ignored. 
 
Is MyLikes a scam? Yes and no. They will pay you for your initial advertisement clicks, and a very small fraction of the clicks that come from your Twitter account. Use this site at your own risk, and do not expect to make any real money until a more reputable system is put in place.

No comments: