Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Haunted Collector: Paranormal Boom or Bust?

 Haunted Collector premiered on SyFy recently, and I was among those watching. I was anxiously awaiting this premiere, as I love anything to that involves ghosts, or the paranormal in general.

I did not think the show was bad, but did not think it was good either. I am still on the fence as to if I will watch it again. Though really, who am I kidding? I watch every paranormal show out there, with the exception of Ghost Adventures, which gets on my last nerve.

The premise is not what I thought it was. I mistakenly assumed that the team visited the homes of individuals that chose to collect haunted items, and then found themselves in trouble when they did. I know from my eBay addict days that there is a large market for these type of items, and some sell for quite a lot of money. I cannot fully comprehend why anyone would want a haunted item in their home, but to each his own I suppose.

What the team actually does is go into homes and sniff out which item may be causing a haunting. Once they make this determination, it is up to the home or business owner if they want the item removed from the location. If they choose to get rid of it, John, the main investigator takes it with him, and places it in his personal haunted item museum. Nice way to score some free stuff, eh?

I found the team of investigators to be credible enough. Though I admit that I had a few reservations when I realized that two of the investigators are the children of the main investigator, John, and that they still live at home with their Dad. They are not horribly annoying, or overly dramatic like the Ghost Adventures crew, yet not nearly as appealing as the Ghost Hunters group.

The problem with the first episode is that there was no excitement, and no "wow" factor. Not that I expect them to be faking things for the sake of my entertainment, but I would like to have seen at least something that made my heart rate rise just a little. With this being the first episode, I assumed it would be the one that really draws attention, and makes us want more. For me personally, it did not deliver. Maybe you will feel differently.

No comments: