Saturday, April 30, 2011

Tornadoes. Not Cool.

Unless you have been in a cave, you probably know that Alabama (and other parts of the South) were hammered by tornadoes this week.

We were watching this monster tornado on television. The station has camera towers set up to monitor conditions. There it was, huge, plowing down everything in it's path. I knew I was watching mass destruction, but I also knew I was watching death. Of course I had no way of knowing it would be as bad as it was.




The weather man said it was headed directly for our town, so got in the bedroom closet. It was over quickly. When it was over, the towns on either side of where we live were absolutely demolished. Why we were spared, I don't know.

We have the insulation and roofing tiles of homes that were destroyed, in our yard. I haven't cleaned it up yet, though I should do that soon since it serves as a sad reminder that today someone no longer has a home, or a life.

The death toll for Alabama is at 250 today. Unfortunately that number will rise, as there are many people still missing. A guy I grew up with lost his wife and two children. I can't even imagine.

I've spent the last two days feeling extremely guilty for having our power back on, having running water, our home, and our lives. Michelle said I should not feel guilt, only sympathy, but for some reason I cannot help it.

The National Guard is here. Volunteers from across the country are here. Alabamians are helping each other, as we always do in times of distress. Soon funerals will take place, land will be cleared, homes and businesses will be rebuilt, and everyone will go on with their lives. The one thing that will be impossible is having the ability to forget the events of the past few days.

No comments: