Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween

I love Halloween. Always have. Maybe it's because I have a fascination with the paranormal, or maybe it's because I like candy. Either way, I consider it fun.

When I was a kid I lived in the best Trick or Treating neighborhood ever. Eighty or so houses in a secluded subdivision. Every house contained at least two kids. Back then everything was safe. We didn't need parents to walk us around. I, being the oldest, took my three younger brothers and sister and hit the streets. Once around the subdivision was enough to supply you with candy for a week, but if you were feeling particularly greedy, you could always go again. After seeing hundreds of costumes, parents no longer knew Frankenstein from the Wolfman, and therefore you wouldn't be busted with the, "Haven't you been here already tonight?"

When I got too old to Trick or Treat, I got my kicks from being the one to hand out the candy. Of course once the teen years hit, it was all about getting into trouble. After that I had kids on my own, and the fun came from taking them out. Now they are way to old to Trick or Treat (currently in the teen, get in trouble phase).

Where does that leave me now?

I watch as many Halloween movies as I can cram into thirty days. This year I do believe I have beat my personal best. I've seen every version of Friday the 13th, every version of Halloween, and just about any other horror movie you can imagine. Not to mention countless hours of paranormal shows galore. My better half is sick of them, but has been extremely patient. She's good like that.

Our pumpkin is carved, and looks great. Tonight we will hand out candy, watch movies, and try to keep my kids out of trouble. It's certainly not the good times of the old days, but when you get older you need to make your own fun, and that's just what I'm doing this Halloween.

No comments: